Ode to the voiceless visitor

This poem was written to kill 2 birds with 1 stone:

1. To dust the cobwebs from the poetry-creating mechanisms in my brain (after a recent poetry workshop at the Writers Council Meeting) and
  2. To let website visitors know the stats on the number of people who ‘look but don’t touch’ when visiting blogs and other websites.
I would LOVE your comments 🙂

Ode to the voiceless visitor

This is an ode to the voiceless visitor, the ones who look but don’t reply,

They never tell you what it was that intrigued them, or even that they had stopped by.

They love to come to ponder your ideas, or to simply observe your style,

Some get what they want and leave, others linger for a longer while.

It’s not uncommon to be a voiceless visitor; research says that it’s 9 in 10!

That’s people who read your writing and leave without lifting their pen.

We love to know how we affect people and which things they like to read,

This is an ode to the voiceless visitor- hopefully a dying breed!

8 thoughts on “Ode to the voiceless visitor

1. LOVE this ode. Thank you for posting it.

Our stats never match up with the amount of comments we get over at TWT, which is frustrating. I don’t know why people linger without commenting. I suppose it’s easier. It takes less time. But it is just another way that we diminish our connections to one another.

I would like to repost this ode, with your permission of course, on our blog. Please email me and let me know if that would be okay. THANKS!

2. Ahh. I just started blogging with the monthly SOLC last month. So, I’m new to all of this “stats” business. Before I started my blog, I had no idea that reading but not commenting makes such a big difference to the blogger! At first, I tried not to get my feelings hurt when people didn’t comment. 😉 Then I realized it was a real pattern. Only 5% of people who saw my most popular post commented! This is a unique medium, in that one CAN respond to the author, providing immediate feedback! There are so many other writing media (books, newspapers) where that’s not even a possibility. The reader is not “obligated” to participate/respond at all. So maybe it’s people who are conditioned by old media who haven’t really figured out how to become more participatory as readers…? Anyway, loved this ode. Especially the way you packed so many thought-provoking ideas into such a short, light-hearted poem! 🙂

3. You have said it well. Sometimes I am so tired I just read and leave (sorry). Sometimes I think its all been said and my response might not matter. I know it does, so I do try to leave a few words.
    It will be interesting to see how the comments and views match up with this. I would feel guilty reading and leaving. 🙂

4. W0w! 9 in 10! I didn’t understand the power of responding until I joined last month’s SOLC and had readers leave comments on my blog. I am glad to report that I am no longer one of the voiceless visitors.

5. I’d love to leave a comment but then I would cease to be a “voiceless visitor.”
    I do occasionally say something… but is only when what I have to say is worth listening to.
    I’ll leave you with this thought:
    “sometimes there is so much talking that nobody is actually hearing.”

6. I almost always respond now too. It didn’t seem to matter much until just over a year ago when I started the March SOLC. And then I realized, it didn’t matter how many responses you already had, another one was just as sweet, and built your confidence to keep going and keep improving. Wonderful poem, BTW! I loved it!

7. Pingback: Voiceless Visitors « TWO WRITING TEACHERS

8. Hi Narissa … as my grandfather used to say … “Sometimes I just sits and thinks
    and sometimes I just sits”

well, “sometimes I just reads and posts and sometimes I just reads”

He also used to take great delight in saying … “All the world’s a little queer, excepting thee and me … and I’m not so sure about thee!”

congratulations on your award … now THAT’S a badge you won’t get on KOBO!